French and Indian War

Buried in Pine Grove Cemetery

Gilbert, Philip

Son of Thomas and Judith Goss; lived near Lake Wickaboag

Brother of John Gilbert, 2nd

Born: 9/10/1734; Died: 1/21/1814

Married: Martha Lamson on 1/11/1770

She was born: 1742; Died: 12/8/1813

Buried: Sec l S – Lot 42

In 1756, (French & Indian War) in the campaign against Crown Point and Niagara, Massachusetts raised an army of 7,000 men. A large number went from Brookfield. The descriptive roll of Captain Samuel Robinson’s Co. at Fort Edward contains the name of Philip Gilbert, age 21, resident of Brookfield.

Phipps, John Lt.

Born: 1723

Married: Rachel Lincoln of Western (Warren)

Died: 1/10/1809; Buried: Sec l N – Lot 7

(also in the Revolutionary War)

Phipps was on the muster roll of Captain Jacob Abbott’s Co. Aug 9, 1757, during the part of the French & Indian War known as the Great Alarm at Fort William Henry when Colonel Monroe had a force of 2,375 men and was attacked by 11,000 French and Indians. Relief was sent in 3 companies from Brookfield and vicinity. The companies were too late as Munroe was forced to surrender before help arrived.

In 1761-1763, a militia of 3,000 men was raised in Massachusetts. Three  companies were raised in Brookfield and John Phipps was an Ensign in the Second Company.

Buried in the Old Indian Cemetery

Goss, Philip

Captain Philip Goss and his wife Judith are buried in the Old Indian Cemetery in West Brookfield. He died 9/13/1747 in his 70th year, and his wife 4/18/1748, in her 74th year.

Inscriptions from the Old Burial Ground in West Brookfield

‘In Memory of Captain Philip Goss who died Sept ye 13th 1747 in ye 70th year of his age.

In Memory of Mrs. Judith Goss wife of Capt Philip Goss who died April 18 1748 in ye 74th Year of her age.’

As you are now so once were we

As we are now so you must be.

Philip Gross (1st) married Hannah Hopkins in 1641. He died in 1698 at Lancaster. Philip (1st) helped settle Lancaster. His son Philip (2nd) became very prominent in the affairs of Brookfield.

Philip Gross (2nd) was born 16 Dec 1676, at Roxbury, MA. He married Judith Hayward, on 30 Aug 1699, at Concord, MA. She was born 9 Apr 1675 in Concord, MA.

Children: Philip, 1700; Judith, 1702; Mary, 1704; Hannah, 1707; John, 1710; Thankful, 1713; and Thomas, 1716.

The tranquility of village life at Brookfield was disturbed in the summer of 1700 by an official inquiry into the alleged illegal trading of Philip Goss of Brookfield with the Indians. He w as accused of having befriended one Manimanos, an enemy Indian, and it was alleged that he had been told that if he would wear the mark of that Indian he would never by killed by other Indians. Goss admitted to having made this claim but vowed that he was under the influence of strong drink when he said it. He denied having ever sold power or lead to the Indians at any time. Also “Samuel Gilbert and many others of the inhabitants at Brookfield with one consent say that Philip Goss is no Indian trader, neither do they believe him to be guilty.” Those who conducted the hearing, Joseph Parsons and Samuel Dorchester, reported to the Governor on July 10, 1700, that they believed him innocent and the matter was dropped.

In 1704, Philip built a fortified house known as Goss Garrison on the Old Hadley Path west of Wickaboag Pond. He had other grants of land, in all 607. Philip Goss became a very important landowner and citizen of Brookfield and in later years held many positions of responsibility and trust.

In 1710, in behalf of the inhabitants requesting assistance because of Indian problems and a broken mill dam, a petition dated October 23, was signed by Henry Gilbert, Philip Goss, Joseph Banister, Samuel Owen and Thomas Barnes and was sent to the General Court.

The Committee for Brookfield recorded on September 17, 1714, that: “Philip Goss hath liberty to build a horse bridge over the corner of Wickaboag Pond near where the rode goes over a little elbow sd rode goes over on the conditions that sd Goss and Company of the west side the pond that join with him be freed from all other highway work and bridges on the place till he be reduced to an equality with others and provided the Society agree to it.”

This was the predecessor to the bridge which now crossed the brook from Wickaboag Pond on the Ware Road.

On September 18, 1714, the Committee for Brookfield, appointed a special committee consisting of Thomas Barnes, Henry Gilbert and Lieutenant Philip Goss to inquire into the matter of a ministry lot lying between the former grant of Mr. Younglove and Samuel Warner in the old plantation. In 1715, the surviving records of assignment of pews for the Brookfield Meeting House lists the pew on the left of the west door as Lieutenant Goss’s.

In 1717, one of the large land owners in the township, as indicated by the tax list, was Lieutenant Philip Goss.

The first town meeting was legally held on December 15, 1718. The moderator at the first town meeting was Lieutenant Philip Goss. On December 22, it was decided to elect five assessors, who were also the Board of Selectmen. Those elected were Thomas Barnes, Philip Goss, Elisha Rice, Samuel Barnes and Thomas Gilbert – all of whom were prominent in the affairs of the community.

In 1721, there were again threats from Indians and as the potential danger continued, a garrison was returned and maintained at Brookfield for the next several years. There was no actual assault made during this time. Captain Philip Goss and Lieutenant Thomas Gilbert were involved in the command echelon of the garrison at this time.

Source: History of East Brookfield, Massachusetts 1686-1970 by Louis E. Roy, M.D.