A massive, cave-like rock shelter, exposed after the glacial retreat 10,000 years ago, served as a winter camp for Native Americans. By mid 1800′s, it was part of a farm owned by William Adams whose descendant, F. A. Carter, dammed a small stream to create Carter Pond and built the cottage now serving as a trailside museum and nature center. Open year round, daily, sunrise to sunset. Admission is free to all.
For more information about this site, please visit the Trustees of Reservations
Looking down into the shelter:
This is the view from the top of the “house” where the Indians would camp for the winter. Photographs by Rebecca Chickering.