Then & Now

District #3 School House

This one room school house was originally located on Ware Road just west of Cutler Road (west end) on the site of the Prindle home.

In the school year 1891-92, District #3 had three different teachers: Spring term: Lillie Watt, Fall term: Alice Stone, Winter term: Edna Z. Howe. The School Committee was discouraged by this turnover of teachers. The average attendance was 13.5 pupils.

The school year 1892-93, District #3 School only operated for one term and the teachers were Mellie Barton and Louisa Howlette. The school was then discontinued and students were transported to the village by Mr. D. Mason, Superintendent of the Town Farm. Income for the transportation was returned to the account of the Town Farm. The reason for discontinuing #3 was difficulty in obtaining teachers and poor student attendance.

The 1897 Town Meeting voted to sell the discontinued schools in District #3 and District #5. The 1898 Town Report indicates that the District #3 schoolhouse was sold for $25.50 and the auctioneer was paid $4.95 for his services.

Research reveals that the building was purchased by P. B. Aiken, and moved to his property on West Main Street between the current Allen Street and Chapman Avenue near the lake.

Prior to 1927, the building was attached to a large dairy barn and used as a carriage shed. Mr. Aiken’s daughter married Charles Allen and they became the property owners, followed by their son Ralph Allen. Sometime in the 1950′s, William Claude Jones purchased the building and moved it to its present location at the west corner of O’Day Lane and Ware Street. It was used as a machine shop and later for storage of vintage cars. Jones sold the building to Frank Cooke, and he continued to use the building for storage of vintage cars and parts.

Joseph and Cindy Shepard purchased the property from the Frank Cooke estate and have converted it for use as an annex for their antique shop. It now has a cupola similar to the original one and is an attractive addition to their property.

Courtesy of Bill Jankins