260 West Main Street
West Brookfield, MA
The Salem Cross Inn, formerly known as the White Homestead, is located on Ware Road, now known as West Main St. (Rte.9) in West Brookfield, MA. The homestead is located on land granted to Sergeant John White in 1707.
The original one story house was built by White c.1707 with clapboard sides and a ridge roof. When the main house was constructed, this primitive structure was converted to a carriage shed and still remains. It was moved c.1960 behind the main house. While the chimney was removed, the interior and exterior are otherwise mostly intact.
The main house and barn were built by John and Cornelius White c. 1740 upon their return to Brookfield from Concord to claim their father’s land. The main house is a 2 story clapboard Georgian style structure with a hip roof, large central chimney, with the main entrance on the east facade